Harry Potter chocolate frogs recipe! Cheaper than Honeydukes and just as delicious!
Craving something sweet? Love Harry Potter and looking to recreate some food from the books and films? You’ve come to the right place! Well anyone can just melt chocolate and put in a mold right? Well because it is similar to Harry Potter it becomes fun and magical. Chocolate is magical all on its own of course but putting it in your own frog box and making it with love just adds to it! (see below! very helpful website! just print your template and follow the instructions!)
So I made sure to do this carefully and choose the right chocolate, the best melting method, and had to conjure up plenty of patience for this project. I also got a little creative with adding filling! I mean I love just solid chocolate, but my favorite is the chocolate peanut butter combination. So without further ado, here is how I make chocolate frogs.
-one 12 oz package of melting chocolate (I use ghirardelli’s milk chocolate) (if you are using semi sweet chocolate chips I would mix them with white chocolate chips and it makes for a sweeter tasting chocolate (similar to milk) and a better consistency.
-a double boiler
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil and place the bowl or double boiler over the pot and add the chocolate, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula. This melts fairly quickly. KEEP THE CHOCOLATE AWAY FROM MOISTURE! It was get lumpy and hard if in contact with the steam or water from the double boiler! (you can use the microwave too if you are crunched for time!)
2. Use a spoon to scoop chocolate into the molds or just pour it in. You can shake the mold a little to make smooth bottoms for your frogs and to get air bubbles out!
3. Chill in the freezer for 10-15 minutes or until solid.
4. Flip the mold upside down and tap lightly. The frogs should come loose pretty easily!
5. Eat and enjoy or keep them in the fridge to have later!
Directions for peanut butter frogs:
1. While your chocolate is melting prepare the peanut butter filling! You will need
-1/2 cup of creamy peanut butter
-1/4 – 1/2 cup of confectioners sugar! If you like the peanut butter filler thicker than use more sugar.
– a teaspoon of salt
– 1/4 cup of brown sugar. (this is optional, but it makes for an extra tasty filling!) Stir until well combined and store in the fridge for now.
2. Coat the frog molds with just enough chocolate. Then freeze for 5 minutes.
3. Remove from the freezer and add a gob of the peanut butter filling and spread throughout the mold. Make sure you leave enough room to add a covering of chocolate!
4. Fill the rest of the mold with chocolate and tap to remove air bubble and smooth the bottom of the frogs. Freeze for 10-15 minutes!
5. Eat the frogs!
Here’s the mold I use! I got it off amazon for like $6.
* I haven’t tried this yet with marshmallow fluff filling but its on my list! Hope you guys enjoy!